Monday, March 29, 2010

Wow, the first part of this year has really flown by. Has it really been January since I have posted anything. That seems crazy!! I guess we have been busy.

Aaron had a week off in March and we realized that he had not taken any vacation since October. He and Dax had some great time to spend together. They did get to go golfing with some good friends and mostly just hung out. We wanted to do something while he was off, but nothing big. So we went and explored Salt Lake City. We go there all the time, but it is amazing what you don't realize is in your own back yard. We went to the Hogle Zoo which we actually have a pass to, so that was not anything new, but it was still fun. We went and explored the Salt Lake library which was amazing. It is 4 stories and the whole front of the building is all glass. The kids area was so fun for Dax. He played while Aaron and I read consumer reports, nerdy I know. There is a show on the Food Network called Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and the "Guy" on it goes all over the U.S. finding the best food at these places. There are a few of them in Salt Lake and we wanted to try them out. We went to Ruth's diner and Pat's BBQ. On a scale of 1-10 Ruth's diner was a 5 and Pats BBQ was a 10. It was definitely a Dive, but so good. We hit a bucket of balls and did some shopping at IKEA and went up to park city as well. On Sunday we went to Temple Square and walked around the gardens. Everything is starting to bloom and it was so beautiful. It was a good time. We were not very good at taking pictures so we only have pictures from Temple Square.





We have been having some parenting trials the past couple of months with Dax. We left him overnight for 2 nights back in December and immediately after he changed. He did not want to go to pre-school at all. We could not leave him anywhere including in the car while we ran back into the house for something we had left. He would freak out if he could not find us immediately in our own house. It was strange because he was constantly thinking about us leaving him and would literally ask me 20 times a day where I was going to be in our own home. This was not your "run of the mill" separation anxiety, it literally took over his life and mine for about a month. He is a little better now, but he still will not go up to the door at pre-school by himself we have to wait for a friend to get there. He has always been super sensitive to most things, but the past 3 months have been amplified. I am reaching out to all my "mom friends" for advice, so if you have experienced something like this I could really use some good advice.

We are still doing pretty much the same old thing as far as our lives go. Aaron is still working a lot and has been moonlighting as much as he can (Working and getting paid extra). He is considering a Sports Medicine Fellowship at the end of residency which would add an extra year but would really be a good thing for him. We are going to Cancun on the 15th of this month to go to a Sports Medicine conference which should be a great time. I hope it does not start Dax all over again with the separation anxiety.

I am still working 2 days a week, playing volleyball and running. I am teaching the 3-4 year olds in church and am loving it. There is no better calling (for me). I am so glad spring is coming. I cannot wait to be able to go outside and not bundle up.

Oh yeah, and be in the sun!

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Hey Ann,

You might be able to try a picture board/calendar as a schedule to show Dax where he will be each day and at different times during the day. It also might help if he can keep something of yours while your away. Like a scarf, that reminds him of you, smells like you, he knows you'll be back for.

Good Luck! Have fun in Cancun!
Kathleen

Whitney Blake said...

I am glad that you guys are having a good time. We miss you like crazy! Who knows maybe we will be moving back out west when Lane graduates if Lane doesn't find a job. The show you were talking about on the food network is coming to Cincy to visit Terry Turf Club I don't know if you guys ever went there but it is the best! (:

Heidi said...

Love seeing your pics from your stay-cation! It IS so fun to explore and experience the adventures in your own backyard. :) congrats!

Glad to hear the separation anxiety is improving and hope it works well after this trip. One thing that helped Lilly with her routine is we made cards for each step (like getting ready for bed) and she LOVES to read through it and follow it - I think she likes to feel like she has more control because she knows what to expect. You guys will find a creative solution with Dax, good luck. Hugs!